The Bicycle Accident Analysis was completed by the City of Akron Traffic Engineering Department revealing a summary of accidents reported involving bicycles for the years 2006 through 2013. The bicycle accident data were reviewed from Akron Police Department records involving bicycles in the Akron area.
Click here to see a table of the results.
Some of the highlights in looking at the results for 2013 include:
- A total of 73 bicycle accidents reported (up from a total of 55 in 2012)
- Highest accident rates were between the 2 hour period of 4-6 pm (24)
- Over 16 age group had the highest accident rate (45)
- Total of 38 accidents where the cyclist or equipment was at fault compared to 35 accidents where the cyclist was not at fault on sidewalk or street
- 44 accidents involved minor injuries and 0 fatalities
- Only 6 cyclists wore helmets, up from 2012 where 2 cyclists wore helmets
- The top three months with the most bicycle accidents included May (13), August (10), and September (10)