June 1 – Hudson Bike-N-Brainstorm
June 15 – Akron Bike-N-Brainstorm
Upcoming 2019 Bike-N-Brainstorms – details to follow
- July – Kenmore Bike-N-Brainstorm
September 22, 2018 – Tallmadge Bike-N-Brainstorm
AMATS and the City of Tallmadge joined forces on Saturday, September 22 for a fun and informative bike ride around town. Starting at Tallmadge City Hall, there was a 5.6 mile ride followed by a brainstorming session. Check out our AMATS facebook page for pictures of the event!
August 18, 2018 – Green Bike-N-Brainstorm
On August 18, 2018, the City of Green partnered with AMATS (Akron Metropolitan Transportation Study) to host a “Bike-N-Brainstorm” which included a bike ride and brainstorming session to receive feedback on improving biking in the City of Green. The bike ride began at Boettler Park and rode a designated loop route to Central Park and finished at Boettler Park.
July 18, 2018 – Ravenna Bike-N-Brainstorm
There was a 4.2 mile loop ride around Ravenna on July 18, 2018. Thanks to all who attended!
Check out our facebook page for pictures of the event.
Bike Week is May 14-18, 2018 with May 18th being Bike to Work Day. Join our Bike to Work Week Challenge by doing the following:
- Register on GohioCommute to log your trips
- Bike to work at least once during the week of May 14-18 (log your trip on GohioCommute.com)
- Send a selfie of yourself biking to Heather Reidl
- Sign up for the AMATS bike list
A drawing will be held on May 25th, 2018 to choose two winners for a 1-night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Akron.
AMATS Switching-Gears Conference in Barberton, Ohio.
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017, AMATS, the City of Barberton and the Barberton Community Foundation, hosted Jason Roberts of Better Block and Charles Marohn of Strong Towns. Over 100 attendees arrived, many wearing purple to support Barberton. The program began with an update by Mayor William Judge about recent initiatives in the City of Barberton, followed by presentations from both of our speakers. Lunch was provided by White House Chicken and The Enchanted Cafe, followed by smaller breakout sessions with our featured speakers. Finally, the attendees chose between an afternoon bike ride or a guided walk in downtown Barberton.
Purpose of a Bike-N-Brainstorm event:
- Establish a diverse project team (elected officials, city staff, regional agencies, etc).
- Determine the purpose (highlight challenges/opportunities, needed feedback, etc).
- Create a route with various types of infrastructure (typically 6-8 miles).
- Highlight on-road biking rules and safety tips.
- Brainstorm on how participants felt on ride and needed improvements.
The Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study (AMATS) developed Bike-N-Brainstorm in 2012 to serve as a tool for public outreach by engaging bicyclists in a chosen bike route to improve biking conditions in a local community. More than 450 bicyclists have participated in twelve Bike-N-Brainstorm events from 2012-2015. AMATS continues to partner with other communities toward encouraging bicycle infrastructure in making it a viable and safe active transportation option.